Previous attempts to deliver CO2 capture and storage in Europe have shown the challenges involved in gaining social acceptance despite the technology’s necessary role in climate action. This has slowed the development of carbon capture and storage (CCS) and carbon capture and utilisation (CCU) when efforts should have been stepped up.
The STRATEGY CCUS project will, therefore, specifically focus on social acceptance and stakeholder perceptions in order to learn – and attempt to address – the varying needs and concerns of all relevant groups in the early stages of CCUS development.
Our objectives will include:
- Identifying key stakeholder groups at regional, national and European level
- Mapping stakeholder perceptions of, attitudes towards and interest in CCUS
- A scoping exercise of relevant issues and needs
- Exploring the use of participatory formats at regional, national and European level, including regional stakeholder committees
- Delivering recommendations for stakeholder participation beyond the lifetime of the project